Friday, March 16, 2007

No Meat Friday's

During Lent, I still observe that practice of not eating red meat or chicken on Friday's (seafood is allowed for some peculiar reason). Apparently that's been abolished and you're allowed to eat meat, just not on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. But I've been doing it (the best I could) my whole life and I didn't exactly "give up" anything for Lent. So I continue to do it.
Surveying my workmates who are Catholic, it's a mixed answer. Some said "what's the point if you still have a fish feast, when really it's supposed to be about fasting?" Others said, "well, I didn't hear anything, so I continue not to eat meat on Friday's" One even said, "if you're over 60 it's allowed."
In the end, one day without meat shouldn't be hard to do irregardless of religious reasons. But then the more I shouldn't do it, the more I want it. I'm only human.

No comments: