Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Take 29

Okay, I exaggerate, especially since I didn't really start making new year resolutions since maybe half my life. But, I am going on my 29th year of life, and what better way to look at it than to do my annual list of highly unrealistic expectations?

And of course, we look back to last years post:

1. Be a good husband (that's a first)
2. Help clean up around the house (another first)
3. Be more healthy (not a first, but always recurring. I did lose some weight, but I'm afraid I might've gained it back already. I did join the 10km race again, so I don't have a choice. And I did join the basketball and soccer league)
4. Finish the renos!!! (Right.)
5. Be more money-wise
6. Be an adult


The results?

1. Ask Sharon. I know I am going to definitely have to work on it, more than ever. Whoever said that marriage is hard work I would like to punch in the face (only because they were telling the truth, and I can't handle the truth)
2. Again, ask Sharon. I would like to think I was a bit less messy, but by my wife's standards? Let's just say that #2 on this list is intimately linked with #1
3. I would like to think was somewhat of a success! I'm under 160, my blood tests for cholesterol came back within normal levels (at least, I think it did as that whole "no news is good news" thing is a great motto to go by) and without drugs (!...unless you count metmucil and omega-3 pills as drugs), going to the gym has become habit (albeit only for cardio), and I've signed up for my 5th 10km race. Now then, I just gotta keep at it this year, and go for my next goal...under 155
4. It's getting there. The bathroom is on its way, and then for the summer is the garden and backyard. Either than that, we just gotta save for our curb appeal (driveway and porch) and "dream kitchen"
5. Well, we're not broke which is always a good thing. We encountered a scare with Sharon almost losing her job, but we got lucky. We're not in trouble with the banks, the credit card companies, and we enjoy extravagences (ex. new garage door, vacations) in moderation with only money we actually have. So I would like to say, yes, we are becoming more money-wise. We'll see how wise we are once we get a dog
6. Ask Sharon how that is. As for what I think? I went through a lot of changes this past year that tested my adult-ness: my stubborn belief that if I continue to not swear (in fact, it gets easier everyday as it becomes second nature, and the only time I consciously swear is when I really, really want to make a point), I become more mature; I learned (sometimes through no choice of my own) to lower my expectations from people; I went through some career-soul-searching with rejections and contemplating what I really want out of my job; and, of course the hardest test, that being my mental anguish via all that daydreaming I do and trying to display some sembalance of control in my everyday actions. I have also come to believe and accept that being an adult requires the recognition and most importantly acceptance of change...it happens all the time, every day, every second, whether it be circumstances, actions or thoughts, and that unfortunately there is no controlling it. So after all that blathering, what is the conclusion? I have a long, long, long way to go

Okay, so now that has been established, what are some of my goals for next year? Here is a list I am haphazardly slapping together (after about 2 minutes of thought) and may sound eerily the same as years past, as I seem to lack ambition (?):

1. Be a better, more grateful, helpful and happier husband to Sharon
2. Be better, more grateful, helpful and happier to myself
3. Be healthier (hey, you can't ever be too healthy)
4. Work less, enjoy life more
5. Recognize my limitations, embrace my strengths
6. Get a dog and be responsible for her (somehow, adding this on a new years resolution seems awfully a lot like implying something to a certain reader of mine)
7. Be more responsible
8. Finish renos! (I think this one will be on every list from now on)
9. Curb some of that conspicuous consumerism
10. Stress less. About everything


Let's see how well this blog goes for the upcoming year. I've been posting less and less and putting less pictures. Consistency is a hard and difficult thing, and sometimes interst wanes. This is still a great experiment for me though, and I shouldn't put too much pressure on myself.


Happy New Years!

No comments: