Friday, October 16, 2009

Window Installer I'm Not

After spending a day installing the garage window (thanks to some miraculous weather on my day off...last day off of the year at that due to this whole H1N1 Crap. That's right, with a capital "C"), what did I learn?

-it's prolly better to have someone else install it
-or rather, it's prolly better to have someone else measure the damn window measurements to ensure that the window fits so that you don't have to make all these alterations
-wearing protective goggles is not overrated. Let's just say I was about 2 mm away from losing my left eye. No joke; I have a scar to prove it. And here I was thinking my glasses would do the trick. But seriously, I totally saw it coming, and then it happened. And why the hell does small metal fragments always seem to end up at or near the eyeball? wtf?
-everytime I think I got something down pat (as in fixing something), there's inevitably a little blip. For example, after thinking I measured the frame for the window correctly with enough space for expansion/contraction between it and the window itself, what happens? the top is snug (thereby I can't put any of that foam in-between it). Oh well, let's just really hope the glass doesn't crack
-oh, and why the hell do I always get hurt when I'm doing something like this? Banged my knee against the ladder pretty hard, the aforementioned eye-incident, and my thumb getting the brunt of a collision between it and a drill bit
-spray foam: says not to get it on your hands as it could get messy. My hands: got spray foam on it

Either than that, I'm not quite done yet; I still have to caulk around the outside. Hope the weather holds up tomorrow

No comments: