Sunday, May 15, 2011

4-3

I'm catching up to Argay!

So I found it crazy how fast this year's edition of the Mississauga Marathon 10km race came.  And I don't mean fast as in my time (he-yooo).  I didn't have a fast time, but the important thing is that I beat Arvin.  Bragging rights for a year baby!  Too bad he's beating me cumulatively in the seven years we've ran it 4-3.  I better step it up for next year.  Or at least get him to not join, then I win by default.

(I don't know who invited that flew-in-from-the-west-coast-specifically-for-this-event-but-not-really long strided freak BJ.  Damn guy had to beat the both of us).

Anywho, I think it's typical of me to be disappointed with my time despite the fact I did not do any training this year (isn't that always the case, though?).  I should be happy.  I mean, it's always my goal to beat 50 minutes, but this year I was expecting to be more in the 52-53 minute zone.  Much to my surprise, I did a 50 minute 15 second run.  Instead of being happy, I of course focus on the fact that if I just ran 16 seconds faster I would've been there.

What can I blame it on?  I think I blame it on the fact that I was choking on the gatorade they handed out during the race (as I do every year), weaving in and out of the kids in front of me, and of course posing for the cameras along the course.  But of course.

And of course we had the annual post-celebration at Turtle Jacks for wings.  You know, to just totally throw out the work-out we just had.  This year's celebrants included Arfeli, Beevy and Nikkonor (Lizanor ran her first 10km race and did awesome).

Races like this make me motivated to keep running.  Especially now, when I think, "I'm doing this for my baby boy!" when I cross the finish line.

Other notes from the race:
-had two chips, as I picked up Ian's kit but he didn't run it this year.  Luckily I beat him by 0.4 seconds...lol
-didn't get to see Mr. Ryan, my high school religion teacher I always see every year.  I feel like that tradition has left, but I looked at the results and noticed he didn't run it this year
-Milton Lester didn't show up.  Dang boy
-every year I think I can cheat at the 9km loop and just skip it altogether.  Every year I chicken out
-I have to alter my running technique.  I tense up my arms too much when I run.  I feel like I just did a bicep workout
-no blisters for the first time in a long time.  Yee-uh!
-funny times at the end, when Argay and I took the bus to the parking lot (as Sharon drove home the rest of the people) where he was supposed to park.  Get there, and he realizes he didn't park there.  Then he realizes that he didn't have his keys.  Then he realizes that he didn't have his cell phone.  Then I realized I didn't have my phone.  Then we both realized we didn't have a wallet.  Tanks Gawd for Tikka Tikka restaurant who took pity on our pitiful butts and let us make a phone call.  But of course when I called Sharon she thought it was a crank call.  So Arvin called Feli, and luckily she picked up.  Anywho, it was funny until I realized Eamon didn't eat in hours, but funny nonetheless when we had that realization that we were essentially stranded

No comments: