Wednesday, May 09, 2007

ChristineChristineChristineChristine

For those of you that watched Phantom of the Opera (or as I liked to call it, "Phantom of the Screaming"; better than what Sharon calls it, "Phantom of the Sandpaper Voices"), maybe you'll know what I'm talking about. They said Christine's name at least 348 times in the play. Incidentely, I was wondering how the play would've been if the lead character's name was, say, Harjinder.
Where can he get a new one? Facebook!
Anyway, at the risk of sounding like I actually know something about theatre critiqueing (is that a word?), I thought the performance was something less than inspiring. Not knowing what the storyline was about going into the play, which I prefer, I was astonished at how...choppy the dialogue was. That is, when there was actual dialogue.
Most of the play was sung, which normally wouldn't be a bad thing, but we couldn't understand a word they were saying? Either the equipment was bad, or the actors were bad. My bet is a combination of both. Hip Hopera it felt.
As well, one of the "climax" parts of the show, where the chandelier is supposed to crash (don't read the preceeding if it's a spoiler to you) was more like a chandelier with a parachute on. And the roll call at the end? No music! It was an awkward feeling them bowing in, ummm...silence.
And my biggest pet peeve (and not talking just specifically about this particular play)? When the crowd gives an actor a standing ovation when I feel they don't deserve one. That's right, because what I think and feel is all that matters.
Not that I'm ranting or anything. I had a great date with my girl; just the show was somewhat of a letdown.

No comments: