Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Exceeding Some Expectations

So I had my annual review at work today, and according to my Supervisory staff, they believe that I am "Exceeding Some Expectations" overall (on a scale of "Meets Below Expecatations" to "Meets Expectations" to "Exceeds Some Expectations" to "Exceeds Most Expectations" to "Excellence"). Which got me thinking: if I somehow trick them into not expecting anything from me at all, and I do just a little bit of work, wouldn't that mean that I "Exceed Most Expectations"? And to extend that thought, if I do a little more than a little more work, would that means I get to "Excellence"?
Not that I'm complaining; I'm satisfied with thinking I'm a little above average (I think most people just "Meets Expectations", which I got my first year that made me really, really angry back then). I've come to expect that in the government, you are rarely noticed for your work, unless, of course, you screw up. And I figure that the less I do each year, the less they expect from me, which in turn when I actually do work hard (like this past year), they would be plesantly surprised. Okay, that last sentence was a lie (I've always been hardworking and always trying hard, despite me saying otherwise).
It really comes down to the fact that the better on the scale I do, the more of a raise I get. But I figure I'm going to reach the top of my payscale by next year, so really, it doesn't matter if it's a 3% raise or a 7% raise (trust me on this).
We'll see how hard I try this year

No comments: