Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Hills Are Alive With...An Old Japanese Man

So we watched "The Sound of Music" today.  I liked it (maybe not as much as Dirty Dancing, but it was good nonetheless).

And what made it a much better experience for me?  Sitting beside a 60 year old Japanese man that pretty much acted like a 10 year old girl.  He laughed so hearty at the littlest things ("ha!  Nuns!"), he sang along to a lot of the songs, he had that expectation face followed by the audible "ahhhhh!", and the best was at the end of the play when the cast was doing their curtain calls (whistling, crazy clapping and "yahoo!" calls and the best...two thumbs up and a hollar when Maria came out).  Good times, I tell you!

As for the play, I was left wondering (remember, I didn't watch the movie or anything):  exactly how old was Maria and why did the 16 year old Von Trapp daughter look older than her and yet, Maria married the Captain?  Oh, and "that's the end of the play"?

The kids in the show were funny, and the Nuns sang well.  I think what didn't make it "special" was the lack of chemistry between Maria and the Captain.  Oh, and how the play ended (didn't really feel like a resolution).  But whateves, not like I'm a qualified theatre critic or anything (just a critic of life, apparently)

No comments: