Friday, April 17, 2009

Hurts So Bad And Can't Do Anything About It

I have a best friend at work. I am fortunate enough that she considers me one of her friends too (much like me, she has plenty of acquantainces or "work friends", but not people truly considered "friends". She always says, "quality over quantity". I always agreed with that statement).
She is one of the kindest, sweetest, funniest and naturally nicest person I've ever met; much times I think to myself how lucky I am that somehow through fate I got lucky enough to work with someone like her. When I first started here six years ago, we were the only "young ones" (she's only 4 years older than me) amongst several veterans and middle-aged folks. We are very similar, have the same stupid sense of humour, act retarded, confide in each other, always eat lunch together and are generally attached at the hip here. When our spouses met, they said to each other that they basically have to accept that both of us know things about our respective spouses, and it's better to just not ask what we know.
So what's the point of my blathering? There are going-ons right now that are making it, well...suck. The two in particular?
1. Her team (she is not a PHI like me) are 99% likely going to move to the other office before the end of this year (just pending final approval, and against all her wishes). As many people pointed out loud here to her, "so, ummm...what is Jason going to do without you?" Yeah. I'm not sure. Who am I going to eat lunch with? Who am I going to go to break with? Who am I going to bother? I suppose I'll get over it, but man, it's like going through some divorce or something. She did say that we would still have lunch with each other once a week, but still. It's like my pet dog is going to run away or something and I'm just waiting for the inevitable!
2. This one hurts way more, though. She is going through some personal health issues. At least with the other one there is a solution to ease the pain. With this one, there is absoutely nothing I could do except show support and be positive for her. I haven't been doing well with the prayers or trying to connect with God lately, so it feels I couldn't even offer her that. It just sucks.
Distraught a little? You could say. I have always went with the whole "that's life sometimes" mantra and move on. But what's happening now particularly hurts. Maybe I just care too much, but with the exception of Sharon, how can I just not think about someone that I'm in contact more than anyone else?
Blah

No comments: