Sunday, January 16, 2011

Annaprasan? More Like Damn-aprasan I Ate A Lot

So we just came back from Mehli's (Kira and Derrick's baby) Annaprasan, which is a traditional Bengali celebration of their baby's first eating of solid food (mainly rice).  The celebration also involved the baby picking something from a tray that is presented in front of them, and that item they pick (ex. money, gold, pen, soil) represents their future destiny.  So if they pick a pen, they will be scholarly, or if they pick soil they will be environmentally conscious or own land.  Or something like that.

Mehli picked soil, despite the fact her parents and grandparents were prodding her and pointing to the gold.  It was quite an interesting ceremony.  Of course I ate too much, but really, where's the surprise in all of this?  I have really got to stop comfort eating or something.

I imagine if I went through this ceremony when I was a child, I picked the thermometer.  Amirite or amirite?

No comments: