Tuesday, January 05, 2010

This Goodbye Socks

So I'm about to make Sharon happy: I'm getting rid of these socks I've had for 16 years.

Background on the socks: my cousin Dennis, the first male I've known who was really into fashion, always gave my brothers and I his old clothing (as he liked to always change his wardrobe every season). He gave me these thick turquoise socks, that were prolly in style back in the '80s. The first time I wore them, it was warm, soft, and made my feet sweat.

So I started wearing them during the winters (indoors only) to keep my feet warm; almost like a pair of fuzzy slippers.

Fast forward 16 years later, and after countless washes, the socks have started disintegrating and have developed holes on the soles. Cue dramatic lines: I think it's time I say goodbye to them. It's time. I better move on.

So why would it make Sharon happy? Because for one reason or another, she doesn't appreciate the clothing I have that she considers "ratty-tatty".

These socks are one thing, but what would make her truly ecstatic? If I got rid of my 18 year old jogging pants-turned-sleeping shorts (complete with sewn on patches). Might I add that they are perhaps the most comfortable article of clothing I have? Something that survives well over 100 washes must be good (oh, and the fact it bothers her prolly factors into the reason I keep them...lol)

No comments: