Sunday, June 25, 2006

Good Vitz To My Great Big Italian Engagement Party

Busy weekend:
Friday: -went camping with Sharon at Bon Echo Provincial Park, located in Cloyne, which is north-east of Belleville. Got there, and proceeded to make our 1 lb. homemade burgers on the grill, which took forever. I think I am officially off my ground beef kick. The bread was really good though ("Pull-Apart Parmeasean Garlic Bread") bought at the IGA on the way there.
-what time was it? Saved By The Bell time! Seriously, one of the greatest shows ever. Period.
-went to bed early. Woke up a couple of times because Sharon kept hitting me because of my snoring. Something along the lines of me saying to her "I'm already on my side!" I think she's really, really hoping the surgery I have in September is going to work
-promptly began to be a virtual buffet to all the mosquitos. By the end of the weekend, I will need about 1 litre of Aveeno Anti-Itch Skin Cream (which is the best invention ever according to Sharon) and a blood transfusion. Seriously, I don't think I've ever been mauled this much when I've gone camping
Saturday: -after sleeping about 10 hours, Sharon and I had a pancake breakfast. We then went to rent a canoe and canoed across Mazinaw Lake, a picturesque (well considering how many pictures Sharon took I would think so) lake punctuated by pictographs on the walls left behind by the Natives
-canoeing is hard to master, and it doesn't help when I get annoyed easily with my partner. I'm sorry baby, but seriously, with both of our inbalances and the inability to steer, it left me a little argh-ish. Not to mention my fingers getting constantly crushed by the side of the boat. And I think you swatting the bug away and the boat rocking almost sent me over the edge (literally?). BUT...I love her to death and somehow we ended up having a really good time. I even got to work on my thigh and foot tans
-we also canoed to the actualy Bon Echo Rock where we had a one hour hike. Really fun stuff, as I look back on it. Of course not as it was actually happening and as I was gasping for air
-went to South Beach where I froze like kah-ray-zee in the water. Went back on the beach and continued to work on my thigh and foot tans. My feet aren't looking that dirty anymore with that uneven tan
-went into town to buy bread. Heard that "Fall On Me" song by this guy:

Peekaboo!
By the end of the trip, I think we heard Rob Thomas about 4-5 times. I'm not sick of it though. Sharon is.
-got back to camp and made a ginormous portion of pasta. It was damn good, but it was pure gluttony. I made so much I have lunch for tomorrow
-DVD batteries died. It was a really sad moment when it did and I couldn't recharge it (we went on a non-electricity site)
-watched a big family-outing (that looked like a Church function or something) where it was kids vs. adults. I thought it was interesting, but Sharon didn't. She was trying to sleep. The field where they were playing? Right beside our campsite
-with nothing else to do, I went to bed (for some reason I was tired). Sharon was upset and claiming it was unfair I could sleep easily but she couldn't. I could think of one way where she could go to bed easily...
Sunday: -got up early (like really early...4:30am early). Tried to go back to bed and ignore my urge to pee, but reawoke with Sharon punching me in the ear. By "accident" as she was trying to stop me from snoring again. Hmmm....
-packed up, and whined to Sharon that I should drive home because she hadn't slept much in 2 days. I ended up driving her car. It was like a luxury drive compared to my car
-all in all, another great camping trip with the exceptions of: being a blood donor to multiple mosquitos and my darling not sleeping a lot
* * *
Why did we have to wake up so early and leave on Sunday? Because it was the second part of our weekend; Marie and Gil's engagement party. Gil asked me on Friday if I could say a speech/toast for the party. I agreed, but hadn't thought about it yet. Here's what I ended up writing at 1230pm (of course I had to be at the hall by 130pm):
"Hello good afternoon, I hope everyone is having a good time. My name is Jason and I am Gilbert's younger brother. Aside from leading the toast today for Gil and Marie, I would just like to say a few things. First off, I honestly don't remember the first time I met Marie. I believe it was at my house for a BBQ I was having with my friends, but the first real time I actually knew her was when she baked some desserts for my family. The first time I tried her butter pecan tarts and tiramisu, all I thought to myself was "Damn, Gil better not screw this up." That's not to say I only wanted Marie in my family because of her desserts. Among other reasons, I am glad that with her and my brother getting married, they will truly start our United Nations family (for those of you that don't know, I am also engaged and going to be married to that Indian lady over there). I am sure my younger brother Con will most likely not marry a Filipino girl either; hey, Gil started the trend.
Another reason I am glad Marie and the Franchino's are going to be my extended family is the fact I can now legitimately stick an Italian flag on my car every four years when the World Cup comes around (needless to say the Philippines doesn't have a good soccer team. But if you guys want to stick a Philippines flag on your car when the World Cup of Cock Fighting happens, by all means). Anyways, to wrap things up, I just want to raise a glass to the couple and say: Marie, I look forward to many years of your desserts. Oh yeah, and as my sister-in-law. To the two of you, congratulations, good luck, and Funniculi Funnicula!"
-picked up my tired fiance and got to the hall. Mingled and such, and made the same joke "welcome to our engagement party!" Oh yeah, originality in the house. Lots of beautiful vuluptious Italians too. I think Sharon was lusting after the two Italian twin boys
-speaking of the hall, it looked like a factory on the outside, but it was nice on the inside
-to my surprise (and somewhat relief), I would be the very first person to talk. I did, got a few laughs and compliments (even though I don't think anyone got my Funniculi Funnicula statement. I was, however, shaking for a good five minutes afterwards for some reason
-the food? Dear goodness...antipasto, pasta, chicken/veal with veggies, seafood with salad, sweets table. I'm wondering why more Italians aren't morbidly obese
-got to dance a lot with my baby. I think Marie's family now knows I'm an attention-whore. I, on the other hand, love to dance. I'm just glad I forever will have a willing (but very reluctant) partner to dance with
-left early because we were both supertired. But not without resistance from drunk Tito Mon. And he's gonna be our real estate agent? Yikes
-dropped by Ken's house and borrowed Pirates of the Caribbean to prime myself for when we watch the second installment next week
Woah, I haven't wrote this long a post in a long time. But, it was a great weekend and a great meet-the-family. I don't think I'm gonna eat tomorrow. Tuesday doesn't look good either.
Work, tomorrow? Blah

No comments: