Saturday, December 05, 2009

Schmoozing With Old Folk

So that was...interesting. Honestly, I think I had fun going to a party where we were so out of our element and it being so random.

First of all, everyone at the party was either our parents age or our grandparents age (no joke).

Second of all, lots of them were telling stories which began, "I remember back in 1961..."

Third of all, there was a point where two guys dominated the conversation and they talked about Whiskey and Scotch and Single Malt for 15 minutes.

Again, though, this was all so very interesting. Now I know what it feels like to be old!

So at one point, Sharon told the old guy who had a handlebar mustache (which was really cool, btw. I swear he drives a classic car or something) that I was a PHI. He asked me where I worked, and which places were dirty (very, very standard questions I always get when they find out what I do). I joked with him that it's usually Chinese Restaurants.

So he said, "I have a son-in-law who is 6'5" who had to go to China..." and then proceeded to talk for about 10 minutes about China and it's population and how they eat anything that moves and in the end, I was so intrigued that it got to the point it did after he asked me about what I did.

Seriously, I think I had a good time. Sharon too. I hope this doesn't mean we're getting decrepit or anything.

Oh, and I made these short bread cookies, and the only other non-white guy there (older Chinese guy) made chocolate chip cookies, and everyone there "absolutely loved them" (that's my older white lady imitation). Now we have to e-mail our neighbour the recipes so that she could e-mail it to them. Again, all so very interesting

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

" I was so intrigued that it got to the point it did after he asked me about what I did"-- As we enjoy our Sunday morning breakfast, Ives and I are baffled at this somewhat grammatically awkward statement. Please clarify.

huhboy said...

I was intrigued how one story can lead to another to another after a question that wasn't really related was asked. Or something to that effect.

Remember, I'm not only grammatically awkward, I'm just awkward in general

Anonymous said...

thank you sir.