Friday, June 10, 2005

First Full Day Here And

It's still frikin' hot. Not that I'm complaining or anything, but damn. Add on top of that there is air conditioning in the room I slept in and air conditioning in the cars I travelled, and it equals even more coughing and headaching. But whatever, so far I'm having a great time, meeting all sorts of family and what not. So, a quick bulleted version of what I did today (hopefully in chronological order):

-woke up at 5:30am, after going to bed at 2:30am. I guess Nina was right in that you wake up really early in the morning here and can't go back to bed.
-went to Las Pinas with Tito Manny driving the Grand Vitara to pick up Ate Carol and Kuya Rocky. We then proceeded to go cemetary-hopping, visiting Tito Boy, then Lolo Manoling, then Lolo Mario/Tito Oiram/Lola Bun.
-stopped for lunch at Chow King, a Chinese fast food joint. I had beef and wonton mami. I also bought lunch for everyone else. The total cost for feeding 6 people? About $13Can. $13!!! Considering how cheap food is here, I can't forsee this trip being light on eating out. Luckily my Doctor said my cholesterol levels are normal again (and yes, no excuse, but I'm on vacation, it's hard to control).
-while at Chow King, I noticed a food stand that sold fish balls and squid balls. The name was "KISS -- King of Balls" (I thought it was hilarious for some reason)
-went to Sangandaan, Caloocan City to see Tita Nory and family. I also met all sorts of new nephews. They laughed at me because I can't speak tagalog. I then proceeded to give them 1 Pesos each. They now love me.
-speaking of where Tita Nory lives, I was somewhat surprised at how...sparse?...their homes were. As well, getting there we passed by shanty towns. Sometimes I lose sight at how lucky I really am to be living in a country where the standards of living are so high. But at the same time, everyone here seems happy and somewhat carefree. Not that it's an equal payoff, but it still amazes me to think where my Mom grew up and how she lived to how it is now. Oh, and the names of the family I met today? Tita Nory, Tito Elfren (Tita Nory's husband), Michelle (Tita Nory's youngest), Yumi, Miguel and Gel (Michelle's kids), Joshua (Tita Nory's eldest Jennifer's adopted boy who also happens to be Tito Bobot, my Mom's brother's kid), Monay (Tito Bobot's eldest), Tyrone (Monay's eldest), Monay's youngest (forgot her name) and Boboy's (Tito Bobot's eldest boy) wife and newborn kid. We also met Anthony (my second cousin) and Tito Boy Dilat (Anthony's Dad) and their family. Whew.
-went back to Las Pinas and met my other Goddaughter, Sophie, who is Ate Carol's eldest. Oh, and her youngest child, whose name escapes me right now, but she was ultra chubby cute. Had breadsticks stuffed with cheese and meat, a product Ate Carol sells at a mall. Wasn't too bad.
-went back to Paranaque, slept in my sweat for about 20 minutes, then Kuya Rocky, Ate Mylene (Ate Carol's sister), Kia (their daughter and my Goddaughter), her supershy elder sister (forgot her name right now too...damn, it's really hot), and Ate Carol came to pick my parents and I up to take us to the Duty Free Mall near the airport.
-my parents bought a lot of stuff, and all I bought were postcards. Wow. I did, however, treat for Jollibee, a McDonald's type of chain here. The food was typical fast food. The total cost for feeding 8 people? $15!!! So I also splurged another dollar and had Kenny Roger's Roasters Corn Muffins (which I sorely miss when Kenny went belly up in Canada).
-went back to Paranaque, where I now have to pack for tomorrow's trip to Palawan, where we have to take a small plane to get there. According to Kuya Rocky, who is a funny guy, the name of the airline we are taking is called Asia Spirit (that is the actual name of the airline we are travelling): the airline where you leave Asia but arrive in Spirit. A ha a ha a...hmmmm....hope it's not actually true.
-other thoughts from today: traffic is bad; the whole "4 driving lines is actually 8 driving lines in the Phlippines" thought is true; there are a lot of stray animals here; if any of my workmates were to come here, their heads would explode due to the "water source safety" and "food safety" that is being practiced here; if I were to live here I would like to have a motorcycle and drive like a lunatic; and, I would not like to live here. Hey, I grew up in a different environment that I love. Why would I?
-Oh, and Sharon's name came up a lot and how she prolly wouldn't be able to visit here for long because she may not be hungry due to lost appetite. It may be very true too. But hey, all my relatives said she looks "exotic" and "pretty." I wholeheartedly agree with them. Barf!

Off to Palawan! But first, to the shower...

No comments: