Monday, June 13, 2005

The Palawan Experience

Lots of fun, beautiful beaches, and calm. We had to take an airplane to get there (a one hour flight) where I got massive headaches, but I guess it was worth it. My trip:

-went to the airport, only to discover my parents forgot their bag. Worried we were going to miss the plane, but timing turned out okay.
-when we got to the airport, we had to take a bus to the plane, a ride that lasted about 1 minute. That minute, however, was mostly filler as if the bus drove to the plane straight instead of making a big U-turn, we could have gotten there in 10 seconds. It was quite funny how short the busride was.
-we got to Puerto Princessa, the capital city of Palawan. Talking about how small the airport was, the baggage "car" consisted of a man pushing a cart after unloading the luggage from the plane. Again, quite a funny sight. Oh, and the security measures compared to Canada were very stringent. I say that sarcastically, because I am not sure if they even know what they were looking for. And if they found a bomb, what would they do? Get the baggage man to push it away with his cart?
-we stayed at the Palawan Village Hotel. Hotel may be a misnomer, as it was more like a big house. At least there was A/C and a TV and a shower! My dad is funny: he was complaining there was no remote control for the TV. Considering we had a brownout, I think electricity should be more of a concern.
-first day there we went to the grocery store to get lunch for the following day. Palawan I think is Tricyclecity Philippines. So many, so dirty.
-at the grocery store, I saw a Japanese drink there with Engrish labels: "Invisible but can be drink" and "Cannot be seen but can be drinked"
-ate dinner at a seaside restaurant with a piano man as entertainment. Good sisig, good food.
-woke up early the next day and had breakfast at the hotel. Man, EVERY MEAL Filipinos eat must have rice. This place must be an insulin-makers dream.
-we went to Honda Bay and rented two small boats with drivers to take us Island Hopping. We went to three different islands, taking about 45 minutes to get there. It was a nice ride. I took pictures, but I'll have to post them when I get back.
-did a lot of swimming and snorkling. I put so much sunscreen, but still ended up getting burnt on my shoulders and back. I should've gotten SPF1000.
-Tuna salad and corned beef sandwiches for lunch. Sarap!
-after spending the whole day island hopping, we got back to the hotel where I took one of the best showers of my life. We then went to eat out at a restaurant called "kinabuch". What did they serve there? Filipino food and rice of course. I really don't think Sharon can survive here.
-slept early, woke up early. Went to the market one last time, and went for a Black Gulaman run at Chow King before we left. I am drinking so much of the stuff, I think I'll be sick of it when I get home. But in the meantime, I love it!
-back on the plane, back with a headache.

All in all, a great trip. Got to know my cousins Noe and Paolo more, especially my adorable cousin Nina. When we went to the market, I had to tell people "hindi ako marunong mg salita ng tagalog" taught to me by her. They looked at me like I was going to take them away to a different world. At least, I think they did. I like to boost my ego every once in a while.

I also learned to text message like crazy now. I knw Im in d Pilpns whn all i do is txt. I evn txt Shrn, ArJ n Nee in Cda.

Going out with my cousins Rocky and Mye today, possibly to get fitted for my Barong. My Tito Frank and family from San Fran is also coming today. Holy family reunion.

I'm getting bitten by mosquitos like crazy here. At least they won't have high cholesterol due to the crestor.

No comments: