Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Watching Soap Opera's = Gay You Know

So I was doing an inspection of a bar today at 2:00pm. There were only two guys in there: a West Indian man who seemed to be in his 40's and was the bartender, and a patron who seemed to be 40ish and looked and talked somewhat like a Newfie (side thought: who drinks at 2:00pm on a Wednesday anyway? You must either be an alcoholic or really bored). The patron was trying to be funny, saying all the "hey, did you tell him about the dead rats in the kitchen?" and the "hey, did you tell him about the used condoms in the kitchen?" jokes. Believe me, it wasn't the least bit funny. And they are the kind of jokes I would do, too!
So anyway, the bartender, who had a lispy voice and to me, anyway, seemed obviously homosexual, was watching "All My Children" on the TV. Everytime he stepped away from the bar, the patron would change the channel to "Chico and the Man." The bartender would keep saying, "hey, thop it! Change it back!" This banter between the two of them went on for a few minutes, until finally, the patron goes, "did you know that if you watch soap operas it's kind of like, it's kind of gay you know?" And he didn't say it mocking the bartender; the patron genuinely didn't think the bartender was gay. The bartender goes, "I'm gay like happy, yeth!" At this point, I didn't know whether to laugh out loud or just put my head down and continue to work on my computer. I chose the latter.

That "h" has an ack-scont-eh-goo
I was, though, highly amused by the entire situation. It turns out I did think the patron was funny, albeit not for the reason he would think.
* * *
Wedding class #4 tonight, and it's all about money. I have a feeling after tonight I will be reprimanded about the amount of money I spend on footwear.

No comments: