Saturday, July 08, 2006

All Steak, No Sizzle

So to celebrate Sharon's birfday, we went here:
If I bought the franchise, it would be Jason's Ruth Chris Steak House
It was what I had been dreaming about since I first heard it was opening up in Mississauga years ago: the best cuts of meat (the top 2 percentile of beef); very good sides and wine (even though we don't drink...it wasn't Wednesday afterall); and, of course, the meal being ridiculously overpriced. I just needed a very good excuse to go there. Add on top of that there was a "primetime special" going on (starter, main, accompaniment, dessert) for $54, I couldn't not go there.
So I started off with the Lobster Bisque, got a Ribeye Steak medium-rare, sauted mushrooms and steak fries (extra cost), and ended off with a chocolate chunk bread pudding. Sounds really good, right? Well, it was. Why then after this meal all I could think about is this:
Everything is sexy about her, butter face
Seriously, I think every single dish I had involved ridiculously large amounts of real butter. It's true what my workmate Beata said: "you'll feel a layer of butter in your throat and mouth afterwards." Bleech.
So the verdict? The meat was very tender and the plate sizzled. The dessert was awesome. The service wasn't half-bad (I did end off the evening shaking the waiter, server and the manager's hands. Don't ask me why I did that). BUT...I think I can make just as good if not better steak at home. I think I appreciate steak on a barbie better than in an 1800 degree oven. And I prolly wouldn't use that much butter (or not at all). So, it was a very good once in a lifetime meal (I'm surprised it wasn't my last meal and that it didn't give me a heart attack).
The night ended off with this great film:

Ahhhh...they...are...going...to...serve...me...butter...

Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest:
-Barbosa! That's the name of the captain that makes a surprise visit at the end (the preceeding sentence was a spoiler, so don't read it. I'm really good at giving disclaimers, I know)
-if only Keira Knightley didn't look so homely...
-met lil' Mikey and Marcy there. Also witnessed teenaged drama, where one girl didn't want to sit next to her ex-boyfriend, and they got up about 4 times during the movie. The only redeeming thing that happened was an angry woman sitting in front of them turning around and telling them to shut up
-"Who will go to the ends of the Earth to find the Captain?" (pirate with wooden eye): "Ay!" Pure hilarity.
-I guess the extras in King Kong got typecasted
-all in all, a good movie but now I can't wait until the third installment. Perhaps one of those trilogies I'm going to have to buy
Ugh...I don't think I'm gonna eat tomorrow

No comments: