Monday, November 20, 2006

Mumbai-Boy

So guess who's here in India! After a rather arduous flight (think 24 hours either on a plane or in an airport), we have arrived. First impression when I got here? It's an awful lot like Manila, with the exception of Indian people all over the place. I mean, there are squatters, people drive like maniacs (poor Sharon; she had to close her eyes when we were going to her Uncle's place), shantytowns and all-around pollution.
But, being the "veteran" traveller I am, I ignored all of the conditions and am actually finding the place and trip enjoyable thus far. Quickly:
-her Uncle's place is quite modern (they have an elevator that goes directly to their residence!) and has Internet access. In fact, it seems to be even faster than my connection at home
-the eating, and I mean eating has begun. Luckily, perhaps, the sweating has also begun
-so much for conservatism and modesty; they let Sharon and I share a bedroom
-went shopping today and got a bunch of stuff. Again with references to the Philippines, the shopping and haggling is quite similar. Oh yeah, it's also quite cheap and haggling over what would amount to $0.35 Can difference is quite the experience
-Oh yeah, I also got a custom-made dress shirt I'll pick up on Wednesday, since, you know, I'm all about the custom-made stuff
-took a motorbike transport to anf drom places. Again, quite like Philippines where it made me wonder if my travel insurance is up to par
-I am learing to master the Indian yes and no/bobblehead gestures. Almost there
-jet lagged? You can say that. I mean, waking up here at 330am and not faling back asleep will do that to you
All in all, a great experience so far. Next stop: Goa on Thursday
Tryin' to mesh wid Ganesh

No comments: