Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Surprises At The Y

First, plesant surprise: was coming out of the Y this morning when a "regular", this older black woman who is absolutely insane when she works out, said, "so Jason, when are you leaving for your vacation?" Why is this a surprise? Well, aside from saying a quick hi to one another when we see each other and a brief conversation we had months ago, we hardly know each other. In fact, I forgot her name (and feel bad about it). Like I was saying though, I was plesantly surprised that: a)she remembered my name and b)she remembered I was going somewhere. That seriously made my morning brighter, and the fact that this was not a woman I wanted to sleep with or had a crush on makes it a surprise indeed. I know, pathetic.
Second, funny surprise: one of my old students I mentored this past summer, Alan, is working with us as a Contract, Non-Certified PHI. He'll be with us until at least December, although I would imagine he'll have a job ready for him if things work out for him. So anyway, I was telling him he should get a Y pass so we can play basketball in the morning. He's been wanting to, and today he finally did. He told me he got a Membership Plus, like the one I got him. That's when I informed him he is going to see me and a bunch of old men naked in the changeroom in the mornings. See, Alan is a pretty shy guy and unaware that's what goes on in the changerooms in the morning; needless to say, he said, "oh #$@%!!! What the hell? I didn't know! I'm gonna have to learn to just change quickly and keep my head down." Mental note: stay away from the guy who's going to stink because he refuses to take a shower after going to the gym for fear of seeing naked guys.

No comments: