Friday, December 15, 2006

Closer?

So I love the people I work with; they make my day much more bearable sometimes. I informed my backup partner I work with now that I might soon be leaving to another team, and he pretty much told me he wouldn't want me to leave. I also told others, including my superiors, and they also wouldn't want me to leave but also understand and wouldn't hinder me from going. I know it's pretty gay, and I always thought in my mind that the people I work with are always just going to be that: workmates. Somewhere along the line, though, some of them became actual friends, not just workmates. Basically, I would be leaving my friends if I left. So aside from the obvious "your friends don't determine your work tasks and the aggrevating public you work with" answer, why am I bent on changing to another team?
Quite recently, another Supervisor asked me if I want to switch to her team due to another employee leaving. While I would be paid the same and still see my team I work with now (I would only be moving down a floor), I would be working with new people and would be doing drastically different tasks.
I think the main reason is my desire for constant change in my working career; whether that is good or bad is up for self-debate. I would like to use a whole new skillset and to enhance my knowledge, but at the same time it would take me away from the familiar. But then I think this is where doubt sets in; the familiar, or rather the tasks I am doing now, I have not yet mastered. I never want to leave things unfinished. So would leaving be a wise thing? I think yes when the familiar, while I still have a lot to accomplish, is starting not to be...my thing.
All of this, though, is contingent on whether there is competition for this position when the employee leaves. I would like to think I still have the "upper hand" in getting the position, but I don't want to get my hopes up too high yet. In the meantime, I think I have some growing up to do.

No comments: