Wednesday, December 06, 2006

"Shookria" India

That's how you pronounce "thank you" in Hindi, apparently. So I had a great trip, but like all vacations, I'm about ready to go home. What I learned on this trip:
-it's quite possible to get sick of Indian food on the third day you're here
-taking three showers a day is normal, but still smelling afterwards is not
-Indian people stare
-tipping at restaurants usually amounts to about $0.25 and it would be considered normal
-tailors are plentiful here, and if you're not careful (like me) you'll end up buying a lot of clothing
-my body system is all screwy, whether it be because of the weather, pollution, medication, etc.
-having a driver and servants makes me feel bad for them. At the same time, I feel like royalty
-it's no wonder Indians back in Canada drive taxi cabs; it must seem like a joy driving there as opposed to the driving in the streets here. Did I mention that they drive like lunatics here?
-Canada has sidewalks. India doesn't
-right-hand drive screws me up as I'm used to left-hand drive
-McDonald's saved me somedays from going on a hunger strike
-I love cows, like the ones that are on the roads here. More specifically, I love eating cows, which they don't really do here. You can only guess what I'm gonna eat as soon as I get home
-I never flew on planes so much in my life, and I'm still not used to it. Sigh
-the next time I go on a trip, bring dried fruits, smelling salts, and if it's a three week vacation, go away for two weeks and spend one week at home
Next stop: freezing cold Canada!

No comments: