Sunday, April 24, 2011

(S)Who Knew This Day Would Come?

A few years ago (starting in University), I had this desire to collect basketball shoes.  Specifically, I sought out collecting Nike Shox, and in particular the Vince Carter collection (as he was the man back then).

I did pretty well too, getting the shoes at good prices on sale or on eBay.  I had no real...direction (?) with the collection though.  Was I just going to collect them and not actually wear them/use them?

Then a few years later and after amassing about 6 pairs, I came to that point in my life where I said "this is ridiculous, you got to start using these".  It also happily coincided with my playing basketball everyday at the YMCA in the morning.  So score all the way around (excuse the pun), as I did not have to buy ball shoes for the next 10 years or so.

But the problem with using 8+ years old shoes is that the glue dries out and the shoes start to come apart.  Plus, I lost a few pounds and the shoes started feeling different on my feet.  Yes, I'm good with excuses.

So I bought a few pairs of "other-than-shox" and they are now in my regular rotation.  And now I'm in that phase of life where I want to purge and get rid of things that I do not use.

So after spending over $700 throughout the years on these shoes, but using them well (this I'm certain I did), I have given them up to my younger brother/Philippines (the ones Con doesn't want).

I am no longer into "collecting things" that are not useful (as evidenced by trying to sell the CSI DVD's).  Does this mean I'm getting older?

Anywho, goodbye shoes.  And thank you.

(Yes, I'm making an ode to my shox)

RIP 2001-2011 (from my hands)  (yes, I actually took pics of my shoes)

No comments: