Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Being A Wealthy Inspector

Sometimes I wish I was more "better" with money.  I mean, I think we do well enough saving and what not, but it's that whole "making your money work for you" crap that I wish I got.

Anywho, yesterday was one of those days that made me really focus on our money and ways we could save.

I'm thinking of changing up the mortgage as it is at "unprecedented lows" (or so the banks would have you believe), and I got more than an earful from a banker.  I wish there was an easy way to determine if this was the best route, but with the information at my fingertips (and the limited knowledge in my head), it looks like this is the way to go.  I just hated it when the banker told me that yesterday might have been the last day I could've gotten that rate.  I hope today it doesn't go up.  I hate pressure situations especially when it comes to our biggest liability, but if all things go according to plan, I should be saving us lots of $$$.  Then I'll feel like a winner.

(Right.  Because really, it's the banks who win in the end.)

We then went to the Living Arts Centre to listen to the author of "The Wealthy Barber".  I knew nothing going into the presentation, thinking I was going to be bored to death.  I hadn't even read the book, because like most people I try to avoid learning more in-depth about personal finances.

Luckily, Sharon enrolled us in this free presentation, and I was more than pleasantly surprised.  The speaker, David Chilton, did an awesome job.  He was engaging, hilarious, and spoke at a level that wasn't intimidating.  He gave a few good tips, and was really inspiring with the messages he had not related to finance (ie. life is good, stop complaining).  We even got free copies of his book, saving us $20 each what.

All in all, good day for saving and learning about money.  Only part about the day not good?  I got in trouble with a really, really b*tchy usher at the living arts centre for not knowing that we were not allowed to eat in the auditorium.  She embarrassed Sharon and I by taking away our free cookies we got with the book.  I wanted to choke her.   lol

No comments: