Saturday, September 09, 2006

Mr. Big Shot

I always thought that guys who got their clothes made specifically for them were big shots. Well guess who's a big shot now?!? Maxwell's Clothiers, established in 1961, purveyors of custom made men's garments (albeit most likely in China's sweatshops), was in town this week taking orders. I made my way down to the Windham Bristol Hotel with Sharon and saw the man himself, Mr. Maxwell (well, the son of the original Mr. Maxwell, and an Indian guy who spoke Chinese).
I picked my fabrics:
-white 100% cotton, because everyone needs one plain white shirt
-burnt orange polyblend, because I am recently very infatuated with the colour orange (what is this, the '70s?)
-light blue oxford point 100% cotton, because blue is also a very neutral colour
I also picked a windsor collar and french cuffs for the dress shirts. And my favorite part? Having my initials "JM" embroidered on the cuffs for a little of that flair and pizzaz to let people know I mean business. And with a notice on top of my order form that says "Rush Rush November 10" and a payment of $150 (good deal! at least I think...) just like that I am now part of the customization club. What up now playa?
The next time they come to town, I might just have to pick up a customized suit for $485. I just have to convince Sharon somehow that it's a good investment. Because, you know, the one time I wear it every two years pays great returns on this investment.

No comments: